Thursday, August 2, 2012

Easy Peach Cobbler Recipe - Peachy Keen Cobbler

Easy Peach Cobbler Recipe - Peachy Keen Cobbler
I have a folder that has some handwritten recipes that my mother got from my grandmother's cousin's wife, Christine, who lived in Arkansas.  You follow me?   I loved this lady.  She could cook like nobody's business.  I mean, she could COOK now, y'all.  She could fish.  She could hunt.  She rode four-wheelers.  She didn't mind when my brother used the pink flamingos in her yard for target practice.  She was awesome.  I have nothing but good memories of sweet Christine.  I really thought a lot of her.  

So you can imagine my excitement when one day my mother brought me a folder with some handwritten recipes of Christine's.  One of them said:  Essie's Cobbler.  Since Christine had prepared for us THE BEST PEACH COBBLER I HAVE EVER HAD IN MY LIFE, I was jumping for joy when I saw the Essie's Cobbler recipe.  

Oh, sweet Essie, I think I love you.  You must be a relative of Christine's and I bet you can cook just like her, Essie. 

I was reading through the recipe and it said to use No 2 can fruit.  I was, like, what the heck does No 2 can fruit mean?  So I googled it.  I looked up "No 2 can fruit Essie's Cobbler".  Turns out Essie gets around.  Tons of recipes for Essie's Cobbler came up.  So apparently Essie was not a close relative or probably not even a friend of the family, but that didn't matter because Essie can COOK, and therefore, I love her.  (By the way, No 2 can fruit means, I think, maybe the size of the can.  There's about 2 1/2 cups in a No. 2 can.)

Since there was no recipe for the fruit other than saying to add some sugar to the fruit, I came up with my own.  Here's my recipe for peach cobbler.

Peachy Keen Cobbler

Batter (Essie's Batter)
1/4 cup soft butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup sifted flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk

Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Cream butter & sugar until creamy.  Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt and add to creamed mixture with milk.  Beat until smooth.

Spoon into greased 2-quart casserole dish. Spread out over dish.

Fruit Mixture

2 15.25 oz. cans of peaches in heavy syrup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1//2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1 tablespoon sugar to sprinkle over top

Pour peaches with syrup into bowl.  Cut peaches in to bite-sized pieces if you want.  Add in all other ingredients besides the 1 TBS of sugar.  Stir.  Pour fruit, juices and all, over batter.  Sprinkle 1 TBS of sugar over fruit.  

Bake 45 - 50 minutes @ 375.



 It's mind-blowingly delicious.

Check out other great recipes here:


And Southern Sundays over @ Slice of Southern.
Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. What a perfect summertime evening treat. I think I would like a big scoop of vanilla ice cream, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanilla ice cream would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE peach cobbler. I agree with Aimee, on the big scoop of vanilla! Thanks for sharing at the Weekend Potluck!
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delishhh! I'd like to invite you to share your recipe on Southern Sundays. My linky party is going on now. Hope to see you there! www.asliceofsouthern.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's delicious, but I'm kind of partial to it! Thank you so much for stopping by and I'll most definitely link up.

      Delete
  5. I love this!! So perfect with summer peaches. Thanks for sharing on Southern Sundays. Hope to see you again tomorrow.!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics